Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Dearest Loira


Happy Valentine's Day!

To know someone with whom
you can feel there is understanding
in spite of the distance, or thoughts unexpressed,
that can make this life a garden.
-Goethe


I feel so fortunate to have this month. I would have sent you all an old valentine in your package, but I didn't get a chance to hunt some down. You can look for one at a thrift store or antique store.

This one I got in a ghost town outside of Buena Vista. I want to make a shadowbox collage out of it, using tiny kitchen utensils.

These two were both given to my grandpa (in with his letters) I have Christmas ones also, I love displaying these!

This one said it's from: guess who. Written with pencil on the inside it says, the girl you took to the show. Hmmmm, I wonder who that was. I don't think it was Loira! (Although that one is from early on, when they first started dating, right after he left, there was quite a love triangle going on!

As you all know, I think. Sam and I are typing up 5 years worth of love letters that my grandpa wrote to my grandma during WWII before they were married. We are having so much fun doing it, and we hope to get it published. So here is one of these romantic letters: {Note: This letter was written shortly after he got a break, and was able to visit her in the US, then he had to return to Italy, and they number their letters to each other, because they receive them out of order.}

March 11, 1945

Italy

My dearest Loira:

Here it is Sunday darling so thought I had better get to writing to you. I had numbers three letter from you and number one today now you see how the mail comes ma. I'll always number mine too so you'll know how you get them.

How are you today sweetheart? I am pretty well myself.

I just finished playing a couple games of horseshoe with the boys and then the mail came in so I thought I'd better get to writing to you.

Oh yes darling I couldn't hear you very well when I called that night either. I don't know what the trouble is with those lines, some of the boys said they could hear real well.

Say ma let the neighbors think what they want to. I don't know why everybody is so concerned about us getting married. I hear the same thing over here darling. I guess we are just slipping, don't you think ma. Well next time we'll make it for sure so everybody will be at ease. Don't let them get you to believing that I have a girl over here ma. You know better than. I never would want anybody else. I got the best girl in the world so why should I want to change my mind. I just love you so much darling.

Carroll didn't get married either but it looks like he'll stay true to her. I hope it is the same with her. I know Carl will feel quite bad otherwise. He won't have to hold me down from going out with all those "pretty girls" as you say. I've got my first to see over here yet that could come close to you and I'm not just talking either. Oh by the way we have a couple more fellows getting married over here again. I don't know what the trouble is with all the boys if they could only get back to the states once they would change their minds. That seems to be most of the trouble though they figure they are stuck here for the rest of their lives anyways so they might as well get married and enjoy a little of it.

I saw that movie, "Till We Meet Again" I could have told you what it was like honey I know you didn't like it. I saw it just before I came home. [The movie] Up in Mabel's Room I saw too. I really got a kick out of that. You know I was pretty sure of coming back over again even though the people all thought different, you have to be almost dead before they'll have you there. Oh well honey, we just happen to be among the unfortunate for this generation. I hope we are more fortunate in the next one though.

I don't know whether we'll get hooked for the army of occupation or not so I can't tell you anything about it. I believe though that we may get back to the states for a while and then go to the Pacific from as much as I gather now.

Did I tell you ma that I collected my bet when I got back here. The fellows paid me without me even asking any questions. I sure could use it too. I was broke by the time I got here, besides Carroll and I borrowed ten dollars from his sister in Newport News.

I didn't find my pipe anyplace. The fellow that was to look after my package went home so nobody seems to know what happened to the things. Oh well I quit smoking anyway ma. I haven't smoked at all since we've come back.

Oh say darling you won't have to send those booklets from the church anymore. The Lutheran service center in Milwaukee sends them to me. I have two of them here now. You know Mrs. Wadzienoki sent my name and address to them. I had about six letters from them when I got here and also got one from them today.

Say ma don't you get any ideas that you don't have to write as much. I'm expecting just as many letters as before. You're all I got darling and thats all I have to be with you is your letters. I know how it is with us but I'm still counting on those letters. If you don't write as much now I'm going to have to take you across my knees. Better still I'll tell your mother, I guess she'll take care of you ha! ha!

Say ma maybe Edgar wants you instead of Virginia only hes going around about way to get you. Now if he could have you for a housekeeper why everything would be in the bag ha! ha!

I dream't about you last night darling, only I wish it was true instead of only a dream. I miss you getting me up mornings now ma. That was what they call "the life of Riley" I had there. Oh well one of these days maybe they will come true, what do you think darling? You know how we feel about each other so it won't be any different.

I'm going to say goodbye for now and try and get some of my other letters answered. Here's your kiss for this time. Say hello to the folks for me. Be sure you don't forget about your writing me.

Lots of love,

As ever,

Your sweetheart,

Kenneth


No comments: