Sunday, February 10, 2008

Assignment #4: Handmade is the way to go!

Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of a man go together.
-John Ruskin
Your assignment: The next gift you give, make it, or buy on etsy, or at least buy it used. And take the handmade pledge.
Please, I hope everyone will take the handmade pledge. I can't word it better myself, so I'm going to let Rebecca Sower say it,

"I have taken the 'handmade pledge'. This means I am stopping to think about items I purchase; if they are available in a handmade format, that's where I will buy. As of today, over 12,000 people have taken this pledge. If this number keeps growing, we could actually get our message across...we're tired of mass-produced cheesy product!"

That number is now over 13,000! Simply click on this image and take the pledge, it's easy and quick, do it right now!

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org


I'm sure you all have heard of etsy by now. I sure hope so. I know Jess has given some etsy gifts. I have, and I want you to also. There are so many cool things out there. It's a great place to look just for inspiration. I like it so much better than e-bay. It's more up our alley. Here are some shops that I like: Yellena, Sugar loop, Hide n Seek, and Ashley G. {Again, an organizing tidbit for you here, if you start browsing, make an etsy folder for the bookmarks so you can find the shop again} I really haven't spent much time looking on Etsy, I only do it when I'm looking for a gift or something for our house.
I like Girl on Swing for inspiration in my own art.

I like the idea of painting over a book, and I love the cute girl and playfulness of her!

I want to start my own Etsy shop. You guys all can start a shop. I know that we already value handmade stuff, but let's try to get more people thinking this way. Please spread the word about etsy. And let's not be ashamed of our talents and use them more for gifts. Before you buy anything, think, can i somehow use what i already have, could i make it, could i buy it from etsy, could I get a gifted friend or family member to use their gifts?

Now I can't help but talk about my dear grandma Martha here. She is the real Martha Stewart (as my mom likes to say) She has made suits, made "softies" (as they like to call them now) aka stuffed animals. She has made hundreds of quilts, crocheted many a baby blankets, or snowflake ornaments, she bakes like crazy, you name it- if it's anything crafty I'm sure Martha has done it! And best of all, she is so selfless and humble about it. She doesn't think twice, it's just natural for her to make all of these things and give them away! I can only hope to be half as crafty as she is!

1 comment:

Ames said...

Any of you ladies getting that itch for kids...think twice! I just spent the weekend with my nephew and niece and they ran me ragged. we made cookies, played in the snow, baked bread...the list goes on. Its fun BUT you get nothing you want to do done! DARN! Jess I wanted to wish you a happy birthday not just incase I dont get to a computer tommorrow! Love you all!