Thursday, February 28, 2008

Assignment: Do!

...With God all things are possible.
Matthew 19:26

Since we only get one day off a week we really value it. We plan it out so it isn't wasted. Why not really add value to your time off and plan ahead. Jot down ideas of restaurants you've always wanted to go to, a store to look at, a city to explore, the next time you have free time, do it. Don't sit around at home, just go and do. I want you all to be really passionate about what you do. What are your wildest dreams? Why not start a piggy bank for a specific thing to buy. Share your dreams with other people. At first, Sam and i were a little hesitant telling people the crazy things we wanted to do. We wrote them down. When we first wrote down our crazy dreams I didn't think any of them would actually happen. (Ok, I wanted them to, but they were crazy!) We prayed about them, we didn't count 100% on them all happening, but so far it is going good. We took big risks, sometimes it was hard. As all of you know, from time to time I've called all of you and complained about something (ok several things) There is always a trade off. While some things look glamorous (backpacking Europe) the work that we had to do (28 days straight of 12-15 hour days of physical labor) and the way we traveled wasn't at all glamorous.
The bathrooms we used, and the beds we slept in were so gross, but we did it.

Or sleeping on a heap of dirty sheets and trash because there were no seats left on the train, but we begged the conductor to let us on anyway.

I was willing to sacrifice cleanliness for the experience. But it was all so worth it.
In front of Colosseum.
Sistine Chapel

Be bold. We are such creatures of habit, and the habits we get into are comforting. I'm just starting to enjoy getting into a routine, it's comforting and reassuring, and we do need it. But it's great to jump out of our comfort zone as well, from time to time and push ourselves.

Your assignment: Name 3 crazy dreams, what actions are you going to take to make them happen? Let's encourage each other and not make any excuses or buts. They don't have to be anything major, they can be little things, but don't be afraid to list a major dream. Please share, if you've always had a secret dream to be a circus clown I want to know about it!

And you can laugh, but to me (and Amy, I'm pretty sure you'll agree) quotes are inspirational. So I'm going to share some motivating quotes with you. Who knows, maybe you can incorporate one of them into your page?

Sometimes you just have to take the leap, and build your wings on the way down.
-Kobi Yamada

Getting a good idea should be like sitting on a pin; it should make you jump up and do something.
-E.L. Simpson

Our fears must never hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-John F. Kennedy

I have always wanted an adventurous life. It took a long time to realize that I was the only one who could make an adventurous life happen to me.
-Richard Bach

If someone believes in you, and you believe in your dreams, it can happen.
-Tiffany Loren Rowe

If you follow your bliss, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else.
-Joseph Campbell


Give your dreams all you've got and you'll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you.
-William James

If you can imagine it
You can achieve it
If you can dream it
You can become it
-William Arthur Ward

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars.
-Unknown

Oh I could go on and on all day. But I will stop now.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Just because I posted this, doesn't mean I'm off the hook. I'll start us off, here are my 3 dreams:
1)Live in a Spanish speaking country to become fluent
2)To sell my artsy stuff I make.
3)Be more organized.

Ames said...

Wow Bek...we have some similar goals...I would love to learn Spanish(after I'm done with RN school). Art, make & sell...some day. And for me instead of organize I have to work on not procrastinating!

Mom K said...

Sorry I'm so late at responding but here goes- My biggest dream is spending time in Europe and Norway and walking the same paths my ancestors walked. My other dream is to go to India on one of the mission trips and help teach those beautiful children. My last one is probably more attainable and that is make better use of my time at home and get more crafting done and start creating my own patterns and ideas rather than using other peoples. Mom K