Tuesday, May 20, 2008

the california coast {in my backyard}

I'm starting to see the distance between us as an advantage. Or at least in the instance of this month's challenge. Isn't it awesome that we're all surrounded by completely different flowers unique to our geographic locations!? So I went to the library today and checked out 3 books on Pacific coast wildflowers. Apparently to be a true botanist, you must be able to classify flowers based on sketch books that were published before the advent of colored print. Complaints aside, I did my best to put names to these beautiful blooms. Some I'm still not sure about. Some I'm not sure are truly native wild flowers. The rest I just made up, because I know you won't know the diff! Oh, and just for fun Itried to include their fancy latin names...
bush lupine + bee. you'll be happy to know i'm still sting-free!
fairy lanterns : disporum smithii
seaside daisy : erigeron glaucus
i have absolutely no clue : girlis ingnorantus

this one didn't make the books either


angelica : angelica hendersonii
spring queen : synthyris reniformis
I honestly didn't think that I could have such a great time shooting the tiny flowers around me. {BTW, This is an awesome idea Karen--I'd never have done this on my own! I can't wait to put my scrapbook together.} Pausing to frame each photo really made me stop and marvel at the beauty & individuality of each and every species. Seriously, how could all of this originate from anything less than a brilliant Creator? His design work astonishes me.
sea fig : carpobrotus chilensis
wild iris : iris tenax
So all of these photos were taken last week our little family {me+jeff+our baby camera} hike on the Land's End coast. The trailhead is just a few blocks from our apartment, so it's our local nature scene. And believe me, I still pinch myself every time. We live in a freaking amazing place.
the view
Anyway, I can proudly say I took all of these pictures with my own index finger. With a little coaching from Jeff. Lol. If only you could've seen us. Purely comical. Walking along together, Jeff on his latest political rant. I would listen in silence, then abruptly, randomly stop, interrupt and say "I want a picture of that one. " He'd take the camera, adjust the settings until the aperture and ISO were perfect and place the camera in my hands. I'd snap a few shots. (Yup, still haven't graduated from point and shoot.) We'd begin to walk again, Jeff continuing on his political rant, and repeat.

1 comment:

Mom K said...

Jess, Your book is beautiful as well as all the gorgeous pictures. YOu did a great job and you get an A++++ because you finished on time and I have yet to start mine. I'm on summer vacation now so I am hoping to catch up on all the challenges. Great job as always, Jess. Karen